Personal Injury

What should I do if I am hurt in an accident?

Following an accident, it is easy to become disoriented, shaken and confused. First and foremost, you should seek medical attention. If you are contacted by someone from the insurance company for the other party, you should not speak to them in detail or allow a recorded statement to be taken without first consulting with an attorney. The attorneys at Taylor and Associates can deal with the insurance company so that you can focus on recovering from your injuries.

What if the person that caused the accident does not have insurance?

Unfortunately, there are many drivers on the road who carry no insurance or only minimal amounts of insurance coverage. If you have the misfortune of being involved in an accident with someone who is not insured, you may still be able to make a claim for your damages under other insurance or from other sources. In such cases, and with only certain exceptions, you may be able to recover the damages you suffered just as though the party causing the accident had insurance. Call an attorney to discuss the various possible options.

Are there time limits for bringing a claim for injuries?

Time limitations on bringing a claim for injuries vary depending on the type of claim and the party responsible for causing the injury. For example, auto accidents, dog bites, claims against government entities and work related injuries will each have different time limits depending on all the circumstances surrounding the injury. Some time limits can be as little as 180 days. It is extremely important to speak with an attorney to protect your rights as soon as possible after you are injured in an accident.

If I am injured by someone while working, can I make a claim for personal injuries?

If you are injured while working and your injury is caused by a party other than a co-worker, you may be able to bring a negligence claim for damages in addition to filing a workers compensation claim. If you are receive workers’ compensation benefits, including medical care and disability payments, you will be responsible for reimbursing the workers’ compensation insurance for payments they made on your claim. But you can certainly pursue both avenues of recovery. It is extremely important you have attorneys experienced in handling both types of cases when there is a negligence claim in addition to the workers’ compensation claim. We can help you with both to maximize your benefits and recovery.

If I am hurt in an accident, what damages am I entitled to?

The amount of damages you may be entitled to receive will vary from case to case but may include compensatory damages, which cover your actual economic losses such as medical expenses, future medical care and present and future loss of income. Compensatory damages may also include compensation for pain and suffering and other types of damages. In some cases you may be entitled to punitive damages, which are meant to punish the party and deter similar conduct in the future. We can explain all the various types of claims and damages to you relating to your specific case.

What will I have to pay to be represented by an attorney?

Our attorneys' fees are based on a percentage of the recovery in your case, otherwise known as a “contingent” fee because it is contingent on yoru recovery. You are not required to pay our attorneys by the hour for meetings, phone calls, or other tasks performed in pursuing your case for you. If there is no recovery, there is no fee.

Are there any charges or costs to me if we lose the case?

Some costs are paid by us up front when we represent you. These costs are usually reimbursed to us from the eventual recovery you get. Some examples of these costs are charges for accident reports, medical records, filling fees and court reporter fees. Unlike most injury law firms, Taylor and Associates does not charge for routine in-house costs such as postage, copies and long distance telephone calls.

What is negligence?

The law requires every person to act with reasonable care considering all the circumstances of any situation. When someone fails to act with reasonable care and their actions or inactions result in an injury or damages, this may be considered negligence. In most cases, to recover damages for an injury caused by another party you must first prove that the other person was negligent. We can help you make the best case possible to prove all the aspects of your claim necessary to maximize the recovery for your injury.